Stop Online Violence Against Women Inc. (SOVAW), a 501C-3 nonprofit organization, seeks a social media coordinator to manage its social platforms. An ideal candidate is a person with an academic focus on racial equity, legal protections for women and communities of color that counteract online violence, and eliminating inherent structural frameworks that permit social media companies to operate unbridled.
The social media strategist is responsible for maintaining SOVAW’s Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts, growing our audience/user base, and working with our organization’s data scientists, public relations, and strategic arms to develop and implement new tactics to raise awareness of our mission.
- Communications or related practice degree
- 4+ years of experience in social media execution and strategy
- An understanding of racial equity and technology or willingness to learn
- Ability to work independently
- Available to work a minimum 10 hours/week
The ideal candidate is team-oriented. It’s important that s/he/they:
- Have a passion for issues that are important to themselves and the organization
- Possess a good sense of humor (including the ability to laugh at yourself)
- Are detail-oriented and strategically minded
- Can take an organizational project and develop a strategic, impactful social media tactics that speak to the issue and to our audience
Who We Are:
SOVAW is a non-profit, non-partisan advocacy and research organization addressing the lack of protections for women, especially women of color. Our work focuses on digital voter suppression and disinformation, as well as online violence against women, with the goal of informing policy and legislation at the local, state, and federal levels. We report on issues that impact the intersection of culture, media, public policies, and technology, and work to change social media companies’ accountability.
We are a small, diverse team of people committed to racial and social equity work, led by Shireen Mitchell, a preeminent voice in the digital space focused on addressing the role that technology, data, and disinformation play in the discrimination and abuse of women and girls of color.
Who You Are
- Agile and calm in the midst of an often fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work comfortably in a team environment.
- Ability to work remotely and independently.
- Comfortable with challenges and able to manage conflict.
- Feels at home with people from diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
- Has a good sense of humor and can laugh at themselves even when they make mistakes.
Salary: Part-time consultant at $25/ hour
SOVAW is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage all to apply particularly women of color, Black women, nonbinary people of color, Afro-Latinas, and individuals with disabilities.
We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, nor status as an individual with a disability,
If you feel you are the right fit send a resume and sample social media posts to email@example.com