Stop Online Violence Against Women Inc. (SOVAW) is looking for an experienced communications consultant to spearhead our digital, print, and video media relations efforts. The ideal candidate needs to be familiar with dis- and misinformation across social platforms directed toward Black and Brown communities in general and Black women in particular, have a deep interest in racial and social equity, and understand the role that false, targeted narratives play in perpetuating systemic racism. As the point of contact for the organization and our founder, Shireen Mitchell, she/he/they should be able to demonstrate expertise in crafting and executing an agile media strategy that is both proactive and responsive to the fast-moving political and social environment that surrounds our work.
- Develop media strategy highlighting SOVAW’s work, our data analyses, and our multiple coalition partners.
- Manage media requests, organize/respond to press, events, maintain and build the media list.
- Elevate SOVAW’s work in the field and ensure that she becomes the press go-to for stories relevant to our organization.
- Connect Shireen Mitchell with interviews, draft talking points on key issues.
- In coordination with our communications and project management team, draft, edit, and distribute press materials.
- Proactively pitch stories and able to review key data points to include in pitches.
- Willing to help SOVAW grow as an organization.
- 5+ years experience in non-profit media relations, communications, and PR, with a demonstrated track record.
- Demonstrated ability to write clearly and succinctly
- Well-organized and able to manage time-sensitive projects.
- Ensure SOVAW’s work is included in media stories related to our core work.
- Deeply committed to SOVAW’s work.
- Committed to racial and social equity work.
- Ability to complete tasks without oversight.
- Ability to attend two meetings/weekly.
Who We Are:
SOVAW is a non-profit, non-partisan advocacy and research organization addressing the lack of protections for women, especially women of color. Our work focuses on digital voter suppression and disinformation, as well as online violence against women, with the goal of informing policy and legislation at the local, state, and federal levels. We report on issues that impact the intersection of culture, media, public policies, and technology, and work to change social media companies’ accountability.
We are a small, diverse team of people committed to racial and social equity work, led by Shireen Mitchell, a preeminent voice in the digital space focused on addressing the role that technology, data, and disinformation play in the discrimination and abuse of women and girls of color.
Who You Are
- Agile and calm in the midst of an often fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work comfortably in a team environment.
- Ability to work remotely and independently.
- Comfortable with challenges and able to manage conflict.
- Feels at home with people from diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
- Has a good sense of humor and can laugh at themselves even when they make mistakes.
Salary: Part-time consultant at $1250/ month
SOVAW is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage all to apply particularly women of color, Black women, nonbinary people of color, Afro Latinas, and individuals with disabilities.
We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, nor status as an individual with a disability,
If you feel you are the right fit send a resume, a sample pitch and/or a press release to [email protected]